ZenFounder is one of the best podcasts out there on how entrepreneurship can affect families and relationships. ZenFounder is hosted by Dr. Sherry Walling who has a really impressive resume. Her husband is an entrepreneur and joins her quite often on the show to talk about the challenges they face. They dive into so many great topics around the ups and downs entrepreneurship brings relationships and families. What type of topics?
Depression, Suicide, and Mental Health
Sherry has interviewed many founders about their struggles with depression, and these can be very useful so you know what to watch for and are more aware of what can emerge. Not to mention the challenges you face as a spouse of an entrepreneur and your own internal struggles.
- Interview with Rand Fishkin about his struggles with depression.
- Interview with Kim Witczak about losing her husband to suicide when he was in the early stages of a startup and what she wishes she knew.
- Interview with Zach Holman about his struggles with depression and how he was able to recover.
- Dealing with burnout… the symptoms, causes, and effects.
- The stress of unknown schedules, planning the future and dealing with stress.
Healthy Marriage & Family
How do you maintain your relationship with everything that life throws at you? Sherry and Rob have so many great episodes of how you maintain a healthy balance of power in your relationship.
- Sherry talks about the challenge of keeping a healthy sexual connection with your partner while they are starting and building a business.
- Will you be there when I need you? This is a brilliant session by Sherry and Rob about the challenges in their relationship and one of the big points being will you be there for me or for your business. My wife and I have talked about this a lot and I bet this will resonate with you too. It sounds like they will turn this into a course too.
- How to have hard conversations? We’ve all been here on this one…
- The benefits of marriage in every aspect of life.
- How a business doing well can still hurt a marriage/relationship.
- The family side of a business acquisition. Great piece on how it affects the family and spouse.
- Getting your spouse on your team for a new business idea. So important!!!
- Balancing two kids and two jobs while booting up a business.
This is just a small taste of the topics available, and I strongly recommend taking a look at the big list with your podcast app. They also host couples retreats and some other cool projects.